Monday, August 23, 2010

Tax free couponing fun in Oregon!


Ok, so I have a confession to make - I have become unbelievably cheap while learning to coupon.  I once put back 2 Scrubbing Bubbles Shower Sprayer refills ($6.99) at Target because even though I could get them totally FREE with coupons I had with me, it didn't seem worth it to pay the $.66 tax on each one.  Now, dear fellow coupons, before you laugh, my reasoning was sound:
1. I had enough bottles already to keep my family's showers sparkling clearn for months to come
2. I didn't just want to donate a refill container and count on someone happening to have a starter sprayer lying around to attach it to.
Later a friend (who doesn't coupon) told me that sounded just crazy - after all, it was only $.66!  Oh well.  And you know what?  A week later I score 6 Shower Sprayers for Better Than Free AND used the overage on them to pay for other stuff I was buying.  That's the day I ended up with a cartful of goodies and a negative total at Target before tax.  After tax I think I paid $3 and change for over $100 worth of stuff, then I was able to donate 6 sprayers!  Glad I didn't spend the $.66 the week before. :)

All of that to say I do occasionally think, as I read other blogs where they declare that a bunch of stuff at Walgreens or Rite Aid is "free" that week, that I wish we didn't have such outrageous sales tax here so more stuff was a little closer to free after tax for us!  Soooooooo, since I was headed to sales-tax-free Oregon last week I thought I'd make good use of the recent Schick coupons and Walgreen's RR deals.  The result (done in 5 transactions so I could get the RR on each razor):

5 Schick Hydro 5 razors (on sale for $7.99)
5 Schick Hydro shave gels (on sale for $1.49)
= $47.40
used (5) $5/1 Hydro razor SS 8/8
used (5) free shave gel when you buy a Hydro razor
OOP = $14.95, plus receive 5 $2 RR (one for each razor)
= $4.95

If I bought it all at home it still would have been a PRETTY good deal at $9.45, but saving an extra $4.50 (and getting to use up some of my about-to-expire RR doing it) made my vacation just the tiniest bit funner!  LOL!  I'm not the only one having fun couponing, right?  Ladies?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment